Monday, June 9, 2008

Memories of My Mom by S

My Memories of Mom

I have lots of memories of Mom. Wasn’t she the one who kept using the phrase “making memories?” I usually equate that phrase with a laugh because it usually meant something crazy or unbelievable was happening! Right?

I think one of my most fond memories of Mom would have to be the time I spent with her those afternoons right after I came home from Kindergarten. I remember vividly watching “The Andy Griffith Show” and the “Mary Tyler Moore Show” with her while I ate my peanut butter & honey sandwiches. (Yes, HONEY, no jam!) I remember her bringing me a poly-bucket, turned upside-down to use as my own personal table for my lunch.

Often, she would be sewing something. Whether clothing for the family or embroidery for her friend’s business, she could sew anything. My FAVORITE thing Mom sewed for me when I was little was my “STEPH” shirt. I think I still have one in my special box. I just thought I was so cool when I wore it. And even MORE cool when I said that my mom made it! I also loved how Mom made us girls matching dresses, and nightgowns for Christmas. I do have to tease a little here: I cannot count how many times we’d be shopping, browsing or whatever when I’d say, “Oh, I really like this skirt!,” and she’d always answer, “I can make that!”. I never doubted that she COULD make it, but time wasn’t always on her side. That’s because she was always doing something … usually something for the family.

I will always be grateful for Mom being my “Nest Leader” @ Girls’ Camp my 2nd year. I remember her reading the book “Charly” to us girls each night. One night during camp, she got one of her bad headaches and had to sleep somewhere else. When she wasn’t there that night, we still really wanted to know what happened in the book and we read to ourselves … but we missed her. She did a great job of watching out for us, yet didn’t smother us girls at camp. Then, Mom became Assistant Camp Director and then Camp Director! Girls’ Camp became a family-affair and it was great!! Mom put A LOT of work into Girls’ Camp and I really appreciated it. I have lots of great memories of having Mom @ Girls’ Camp.

I’ve always admired Mom’s independent spirit. She sees something that needs to be done and she’ll just get it done! I need to be more like that sometimes. It just depends on my mood, unfortunately.

I know I have lots of memories stirring in my mind of Mom. I do remember once when we were parked in our old big, blue van and she stepped out of her door to take off her sweatshirt. She grabbed her shirt, too! Then, Lisa Grover said, “Sister Haws!!!,”as if Mom MEANT to do it! I remember her scrambling to untangle her arms and sleeves to get redressed! It still brings a little chuckle when I think about it. I loved the pocket bread at campouts, the P.J.’s at Christmas, the birthday flag on birthdays, and family prayers at all times of the day.

I love you, Mom!!

S

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Glad you liked the letter. Don't forget to change the 'Mary Tyler Moore show' to the 'Dick Van Dyke show' on your copy! I got it mixed up. So, my STEPH shirt is in that one box that was narrowed down from the 17 boxes you dumped at my apartment years ago!! That little shirt is such a treasure to me!! Yeah, so G might have been frustrated with my 17 boxes then, BUT he's got a million boxes of books now! Who's cryin' now??